Thursday, April 29, 2021

Final Blog Post: My Relationship with Technology


 I would say I use technology more than I would like to admit but not quite as much as some people my age use it. I have been using technology and social media for probably most of my life by now and it has impacted me in both positive and negative ways. Some positives are that it has helped me easily attain information and allows me to connect with many different people. There are also many negative impacts technology and social media has had on my life the main ones being that it is very time consuming and can affect my mental health negatively. I think there is a fine line between the advantages and disadvantages of the media in my life but since I am still using social media and technology the disadvantages do not outweigh the advantages enough for me to stop, at least for now.

That being said I know that I do not have the healthiest relationship with technology and social media which I would like to change but still haven’t yet. I know that it can negatively affect my mental health and I spend way too much time on it and I think the main reason why I don’t just quit social media is that everyone else around me uses it. My family and mainly my friends are almost always on their phones using social media which inclines me to use it as well, we all affect one another when we do that. The video Are You Lost In The World Like Me is a great example of this and also why it can cause people to feel lonely and sad. So many people are attached to their phones and don’t pay enough attention to the people around them which can cause people to feel isolated among many other things. Social media is almost never authentic and makes people believe unrealistic expectations in life. I think the key for most people is to try and find a balance between the time they spend on technology (mainly social media) and off of it to actually connect to people in person.

Since I have used and been part of social media for a while now and have some public digital records I would say I have a medium digital footprint. I have social media accounts for Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, Tik Tok, and possibly more where I have left the majority of my active digital footprints. Even the blogs I am making for this class right now contributes to this. I know I also have a lot of passive digital footprints which is information I unintentionally submit online that I probably don’t even know about. Everyday my digital footprint is growing more than I even realize which I now know I should be paying more attention to. 

 

Digital Footprint - Group 3 Task 1



Thinking about it now especially after googling my name I would say I am pretty exposed online or at least more than I would like to be. On Instagram and some other social media accounts I used to be public where anyone could view my page, but in the past year or so I changed to a private account because it made me feel a little more protected. Even though I have a lot online there is nothing I am necessarily worried about other people, especially possible future employers, seeing since I have always tried to keep a clean online presence. 

 

 

https://techterms.com/definition/digital_footprint 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DU1B_XkyIk&t=1s 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Relationship with Technology

 I would say I use technology more than I would like to admit but not quite as much as some people my age use it. I have been using technolo...