Friday, April 2, 2021

Supreme Court

Before watching both Supreme Court videos I did not have a lot of knowledge about the Supreme Court except for some of the basic information about it. I ended up learning a lot about the Supreme Court like how the current president appoints a new Justice when there is an opening and how long an average Justice serves for. I knew the Supreme Court Justices had to be appointed but I didn’t realize it was directly by the president of the United States which I found to be interesting. One important take-away point I got from the video is when the narrator said “Their legitimacy is in the constitution but their power rests on public faith in their independence and impartiality”.Since I did not know too much before watching the video many things surprised me such as how many cases are presented to the court weekly. I imagined that they could get quite a few cases but since they are so big and powerful I thought there might be more of a process to getting a case reviewed by the Supreme Court. Although it is more work for the Justices I like that any case can get the opportunity to be reviewed and possibly even selected. Another thing that surprised me is that the opinion writing is one of the most time consuming parts of the Justices work and that the first draft of it is normally finished in 4 weeks or how ever long the process is before they announce their decisions. Supreme Court video  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Relationship with Technology

 I would say I use technology more than I would like to admit but not quite as much as some people my age use it. I have been using technolo...